Thursday, August 29, 2013

Part 4: Another Chapter of my Adventurous life: Spring 2013


Internship Search: How did I get to Blue Cross?

The adventure theme continues with my internship search this past spring semester. It started all the way back in November and continued through the spring. If you read my last post, I talked all about my externship experience in New York City. Now that I was well equipped from the externship, it was time to put those skills to work.

Being a sophomore competing against experienced juniors and seniors for the intern position was not an easy task. As a sophomore, I was always proving or needed to prove companies wrong every time I was being interviewed. Despite my knowledge or interview status, they were looking for at least one previous internship experience. Yes I did get a lot of compliments on my resume as a sophomore and I do have a very wide variety of work experience, but I didn’t have an internship – a real world experience. I did well in my interviews according to my evaluations, and improved as time went on, but I got no love! Talk about frustrating huh?!

Just to clarify my level of frustration: I applied to seven internships; Shields MRI, Angels Healthcare, Blue Cross Blue Shields of Mass (BCBSMA), Owens & Minor, Aflac, HR Knowledge, and Training Fix. Of the seven, I got an invite to interview at all the companies except Shields MRI & Blue Cross. Believe it or not, I received zero offers from all the companies I interviewed with. I went 0 & 5! Damn! Such depressing times. But then you may ask, “how are you interning with BCBSMA if you didn’t even get an interview?” Well, that’s the story of the century. I didn’t get an interview. I went straight past the interview to a job offer. Interesting huh?

You are probably wondering how the heck that was possible. Well...what had happened was; I started looking for internships back in November. Let’s just say I lived in career services this past year. I went up to Christina Burney and told her I wanted to intern at BCBSMA. I love Christina but I’m sure she didn’t take me seriously. Why Blue Cross though? Believe it or not, it is nothing complicated. After taking healthcare foundations second semester of freshman year and officially declaring a major in Healthcare Administration, I knew I wanted to do something within Healthcare. I wasn’t certain which direction to take it and I’m still in the process of figuring it out. Insurance, Clinical, Sales? Only time will tell. As a member of HMO Blue, I thought, “how amazing would it be to actually work with the company that insures me?” I saw it and still see it as a dream job. That was really the reason I became interested in working for Blue Cross.

Once again nothing complicated. Long story short, Christina connected me to Jason Dekow, the senior recruiter at Blue Cross. I first attempted to have him be my mentor through Career Connection (an opportunity to built relationships with Stonehill Alums) but he couldn’t because he wasn’t a member of Stonehill’s Alumni Network. He couldn’t officially be my mentor, but I kept in contact with him all throughout November, December and the start of January. The second opportunity came back in December when a mentor and friend of mine (Paul Burton) connected me to Jeff Bellows, the Vice President of Corporate Citizenship Community Relations. I kept in touch with Jeff via email; well mostly his assistants because he was too busy to deal with me. Jeff passed me along to his assistant who then referred me again to Jason Dekow. It’s interesting how that works. Don’t mean to be dramatic or anything but it was destiny.

The third opportunity came back in April, during the Internship fair. I was hoping the recruiter was Jason, and it surly was. I knew that was it, my first time meeting this guy in person. The externship program, all the time I spent in the career services, all those interviews; it all came down to this moment. I needed to sell myself; I needed to refurnish my elevator pitch (30-sec of fame prepared for a future boss) & SWOT (Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, Threats) analysis. I walked up to him and immediately he knew who I was because I was also connected with him on LinkedIn. He obviously had done his research and I most definitely did mine; I knew exactly who he was. One slight change though, he was a lot skinnier in person, which was great because he was clearly moving towards a healthier lifestyle. Now why am I talking about my recruiter’s personal health? It’s a passion for healthy living, don’t judge me. Anyway I had a long conversation with him, spoke to him like I knew his personal life, passed on my resume and hoped for the best.

I hoped for the best and the best is what I received a month or so later. I hadn’t heard from him in a while so I became a little worried. After applying to other internships and interviews, I was getting anxious. I didn’t want to be annoying, but I made sure to send a couple follow ups.  Here is a copy of my last email:
Hello Jason,

It has been a while since I heard from you. I hope things are going well. I would appreciate an update soon. I am currently also looking to hear back from Angels Healthcare Companies, Aflac, and HR Knowledge. Of these three companies Blue Cross is no doubt my number one choice, so I hope to hear from you soon. Hopefully about an interview. 

Thank you!
Thomas Noah”

Now read his reply!

Hi Thomas,
Sorry this took slightly longer than expected….
Via our past conversations about an internship opportunity within the area of Performance Measurement and Improvement more specifically as the Network Contracting Intern.  I am delighted to extend an offer to you to become an intern with the Network Contracting Intern reporting to Stephanie Graham!

I wanted to let you know about the next steps. You will notice that I have attached some information to this email. It represents your offer letter, directions on how to start our standard background screening for all associates and interns, once you have accepted the position.

Please follow the directions in the INTERN APPLICATION GUIDE to initiate the process around the background screening.
  
Thomas, I am sure you might have additional questions about the process and the program and I am happy to answer any and all questions you might have. Please feel free to reply to this email of contact me directly. You can find my direct line listed below.

Congratulations!
Jason

Say what?! It truly couldn’t have gone any better. The power of networking and persistence. Talk about a dream come true huh? I plan on telling you guys all about it at the end of the summer, while I’m in….wait for it…..Italy! The format will be nothing like you’ve seen before, on my blog at least. That’s because I plan on using the weekly recaps/journals written for my supervisor and academic advisor at school. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading my experiences this past semester. I know I said in the introduction I was going to include academic updates. That is unfortunately not going to happen. Not saying it was boring or anything; the adventure never stops. Just didn’t have as much time as I had hoped.

I also wanted to say Rest in Peace to my first Art History Professor, Professor Calo. She unfortunately lost her battle with Breast Cancer during the first month of the semester. It was a pleasure having her as a Professor although our time with her was cut so short. Only a month into school we discovered her struggles with cancer. This kind of stuff breaks my heart because I witnessed my mom undergo chemo for breast cancer for several years. I indirectly felt her pain. Unfortunately she couldn’t overcome her struggle like my mother did. God bless her for spending so many years at Stonehill and making such an impact on the Stonehill community, Art & Theater Department for the twenty or so years she was there. I’ve been at Stonehill for two years and for some odd reason I’ve already had to experience two tragic deaths. Why is that? I don’t have the answer either but it surely hasn’t slowed me down as you can see. One of my favorite motivational quotes says, “it ain’t about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.” I guess it’s all apart of the adventure? I’ve realized death is a major part of life. I may not have experience any of this the first 20 years of my life but I am now! I guess it was just a matter of time until reality kicked in. No matter what happens from here, “No weapon formed against me shall prosper!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment