Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Truly A Week from Hell

General Thoughts/Academic
Two people read my mind extremely well this week. They mentioned exactly what was going through my head all week, "the week from hell". First person was my good friend/study buddy Ryleigh who's status stated, "This is the hell week of all hell weeks" Friday at work, I over heard one of the admission counselors saying "this is the week from hell". It is amazing how when you think you are alone, you realize that there are people who are going through the same struggles or possibly having it worse than you. There is no better feeling because it sucks having to be alone in any situation, not only through struggles. Where am I coming from with this? well, it really has been a sucky week. Academically, not so much socially. But then again, isn't every week sucky academically? True, but this week was by far the suckiest of all, if thats a word. Healthcare killed me this week like usually does. Switching from Bio, I didn't think I would have such a busy semester academically. Healthcare, Glavin and my Art classes definately proved me wrong. Had my usual 10 hours homework for Healthcare along with an article, summery and reflection of the next chapter,  on wednesday, two chapter quiz on friday, and a research paper that was originally scheduled for Sunday at 5:00pm. Thank the good Lord he porsponed it until Tuesday at 6:00pm  because it would have been an impossible task. Just when I thought the week couldn't get any worse, I found out last minute I had to have my Literature paper on Swift's use of satire in Gulliver's Travels, done by thursday for an in-class workshop. Life would have been even worse if it wasn't for Valazquez's late three day policy. Why? Because I also would have had to turn in a Philosophy paper! It makes me angry talking about it. All this madness doesn't even include my art projects for class. If I hadn't used my time wisely by skipping a couple unnecessary classes, I wouldn't have been able to turn in anything on-time this week. And of course after having such a sucky week you would think I would have all the time in the world to finally get some rest over the weekend. NOPE, I had an ABS Training from 9-5 on Saturday, and PM training from 12-2 on Sunday. Now it makes more sense why it would have been an impossible task to have my research completed by 5:00pm on Sunday huh? Mhm...Though it may sound like I am complaining, don't get me wrong though, I am not complaining. Well maybe academically, but I love the ABS and PM programs. This week just really got me thinking of my mentor Paul Burton's famous quote, "I wish..I had..more Time". Exactly what it is, can't explain any better.

ABS Training
One of the activities we did for the traing was to draw the idea Image of an ABS leader. Not going to get into details about it but one major charateristic my group's little ABS leader had was being open-minded. We literally drew him open-minded with symbols coming out of his head. A globe, a peace sign, a gay pride flag, and the cross and other religious symbols. The point is,  I have always been an opended peoson, but since I've been at Stonehill and involved with the Diversity program and ABS, my mind has been expanded. Well, mostly in a different way I can not explain. Being at stonehill definately made me realized not everyone come from the same walks of life. AkA not everyone grew up in a diverse environment, we all have different backgrounds. I am constantly reminding myself, mostly through Aristotle's philosophical theory of the identification of catharsis. AkA putting your  self in someone else's shoes and identifying with that person. This help me understand majority of the time where people are coming from when they are being ignorant. In other words, stay patient and keep my cool. Patient and cool is definately not what the high school Thomas would have done. The aggresive, homofobic, sometimes ignorant and unaware Thomas. The don't give a dam what you think or say about me Thomas. In other words, I thought I knew it all.   

My other favorite activity wasn't much of an activity, it was a movie called "The Walkout". It was basically a documentary about five students from East L.A who decided to make a difference. They stood up for their rights to a better and equal education against the school district. Persistence allowed them to continue to push on, despite the police brutality attempt to stop them. Despite all obsticles, they won over the school district and the public by starting a walkout. All it took was five brave and determained high school kids.

The gneral story reminds me of my own personal project, starting a wrestling club at Stonehill College. I currently have the support of Dean of Admissions Dan Monahan who is willing to coach, if everything go as planned. Unfortunately the Athletic Directors refused to get on board with us. Their excuse? "Budget cuts..Too many clubs, blah blah blahh..." Typical excuse they've given to students in the pass who attempted to start a program. Thanks to determination of those five students, I am not giving up anytime soon. I have three more years to make it happen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment