Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Does Anyone Deserve to Die Because of their attire?

Academics:

The past week was the week coming back from Spring break. The overall weather was a beautiful transition from NOLA to Mass. Academically, it absolutely sucked! I had a load of work that were meant to be done over the break, which I obviously didn't get to as a result of my exciting adventure to NOLA. Healthcare was a pain in my behind like usual. I had to do a movie writeup on a movie called Lorenzo's OilLorenzo's Oil is documentary of two parents who refused to give into the deadly affects of Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD); an inherited disorder, usually from the mother; the X gene. It affects mostly males, from the ages of 5-10. All boys with ALD unfortunately dies within 2 years of diagnosis. It is insane how sometimes you have absolutely no control of what happens in life. Then of course I had my usual 40 page chapter reading for friday; 3 questions that take about 2 typed pages and a 2-3 paragraph response, AKA "Point to Pounder". Why do I have to end up with the hardest professor in Healthcare?! Wel, he is my academic advisor so I can't get raid of him even if I tried. As for Literature and Phisolophy? Bested on my Philosophy mid-term exam on thursday. I will be an extremely unhappy camper if I do endup with anything less than a 95.  Literature? It was quite an adventure. Talking about adventure, I had to read The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland in two days period. Well that was the original assignment atleast. All I can say is, Thank GOD for SPARK NOTES! I mean, I did tried and got through about 25% of it, just wasn't having it. Portrait workshop and Figure drawing always drains me of course. So time comsuming! But hey, it what I love to do, so I can't complain much. I actually came up with my best work, working with my favorite model by far in figure drawing.   

Random:
I don't often read people's essays when I am at work (Admission's office, Admission's assistant), but when I do finally decide to do so, I come across some really awsome ones. This past wednesday, I came cross one of those essays that get you really thinking about your priorities in life. In the essay, a kid from Barthel Mass (Gardner High School), talked about the experience which almost took his life. According to him, his apendix ruptured while away for boys state leadership program. He suffered from a severe infection and was transported to three different hospitals. What kept this poor kid going? Where was his motivation to survive? Visit from friends and families, text messages and phone calls. Simple things we take for granted everyday. "It is true, we do reap what we sow" AKA the power of being a good sincere, loving person. Anyways, What did he learn? Great amount of emotion and mental strength. "That it is not take anything in life or granted because everything could change in a split second". Such a smart kid. But you know what I find interesting about this situation? It takes a near death experience or some type of tragic event to come to this realization. I know I can surely testified to that, it hasn't been that long since my personal experience. Anyways, another leason he learned was; "work hard for things you want and never let someone tell you, 'you cant". Aman to that kid! Its a constant struggle, but its all about the mental toughness.

I also came accross another interesting story in my MOSAIC (Men of Service, Academia, Integrity, and Character) meeting this past sunday. The Story of young Treyvon Martin. Whay a sad story huh? I noticed all the publication on it through facebook but never was aware of the full story until sunday. My reaction? What kind of society we live in today, where a person as young and innocent as Treyvon can't look comfortable in public? Since when has it been a crime to wear hoodies at night, in a cold rainy weather? Since when is it ok to be followed, stalked by an adult who feels the need to be a neighborhood hero? Didn't we all learn as kids to runaway from strangers? It really is a shame how terrible the American society is at times. Why do we continue to live in hate, stereotypes, and discrimination? Talking about profound questions...

Anyways, I had quite an interesting interaction with my portrait workshop professor this past monday. well, the question is, how often do a professor leave her work to come examine your traps in the middle of class? As far as i know, it doesn't happen at all. Well, in my portrait workshop class, anything is possible. While helping out a partner who is was modeling for, she randomly goes; "Oh my gosh, Thomas, look at those traps! How often do you workout?" Not really taking her serious, I asked her maybe five seconds later, "is that a serious question?" And so I told her how I workout 3-days a week for about an hour each. Then comes the unexpected, "Oh woow now I feel like I have to touch you!" HUH? I laughed hysterically with the rest of the class, ignoring her comment. About a meeting later she gets up and start walking over. "I told you I have to touch you! Ladies don't be jealous". And so she comes over and starting examining my Traps and Delts. How do you possibly react to that?! I basically just sat there and laughed my butt off. And yaeah, of course it was the same professor who put me in a really awkward position o the first day of class, "OMG we should draw you! You have the greatest face!" Such an interesting class I have. Even better, What a professor! She brings light into my life, even when I am not in the mood to laugh.

Oh yeaaa of course, Shout out to my official study buddy, whose been on my back to include her in my blog! Ryleigh Failla, aka RyRy, aka RyRy-licious, aka partner in crime at the Shields Science Center, aka "Word to ur MAMA!"    

No comments:

Post a Comment