Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My NOLA Experiences: The Series III

New Orleans
                                                              Part III: Adventure Sunday
To the city we went, specifically the French Quarter. We had only 2 hours to explode the city for the first time. With a map of the city and near by restaurants, everyone went about their own way the second we stepped off the bus. In my crew was Eric Vanderpool, Sam Navarro, Alex Navarro, Antonio and Dave Trotta, some of the collest guys I've meet at Stonehill. I can not begin to stress how sick I am of seing Eric! Well not exactly, but I what did I not do with Eric this past week? I hung with him daily, played scoccer every free time we got, ate with him, worked with him, and even slept in the same room with him! Anyways, for lunch we went to an outdoor restaurant called "Timeout", where the waiters wore referee uniforms. I thought that was pretty cool.  While we waiter for the orders, a Migician came about to keep us entertained. Definately one of the coolest things I've seen in awhile. I would love to see how the mind of a Migician works with illusions but that is probably taboo in the world of Migicians. Talking about orders, I ordered my first fried chicken dish in the South. I am not sure which one I was  more excited for; the taste of the chicken itself, or the fact that the dish was called "Sweet and Sweaty" fried chicken. I am not sure what exactly the ingredient was or which part of it was sweaty, but it most definately tasted Sweet but not so Sweaty! Latered that night, we had a community time like we usually did every other night or so. Community time usually involved working in small groups and reflecting on the day as a whole, and ocassionally, specific topics were gaven. The first night happened to be one of those nights when we were gaven a specific topic to reflect on. We were to reflect on what was encouraging and discouraging about the city. My response to what I saw as encouraging concered Bourbon Street. It was literally party 24/7. It was nice to see people smiling, laughing, and loving life once again after the aftermath of Katrina almost 7-years ago. The love and respect the people of New Orleans had for eachother and for tourists were like none I've seen in the North. It was also a relief to know and see that people like Brad Pit are making a difference in the city of New Orleans; by building houses for low income families who are trying to get back on their feet. On the other side of the spectrum, it was pretty discouraging to see the amount of lust that took place on Bourbon Stret. There were sex shops, gentleman clubs, and strip clubs in literally every other store. All on one street! First of all, if I'm not mistaken, that is terrible business. Second, it was just too inappropriate, a little too much. I remembered walking by one of the stores and a gentleman extended what looked like a busniess card to me and goes, "bubbies?" Such a FORCE! It just did not seem like the kind of environment a parent would want to bring a child in. Well, atleast I wouldn't if I had a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment